Today every country is thriving to conserve biodiversity, do we really know what is the need to conserve biodiversity?
Do we really need to conserve biodiversity?
Lets discuss these queries by a short introduction to Importance of Biodiversity for mankind.
It has taken millions of years of evolution, to accumulate this rich diversity in nature, but we could lose all that wealth in less than two centuries if the present rates of species losses continue.
The rich biodiversity has been instrumental in providing humanity with food security, health care and industrial goods that has led to high standard of living in the modern world. Ironically it has also produced the modern consumerist society which is adversely affecting the diversity of biological resources upon which it is based. The diversity of life on earth is so rich that if we use it sustainably we can go on developing new products for generations. For this reason, we must realize the importance of biodiversity as an important resource.
Threat to Biodiversity
David Tilman showed that in his experiments, increased diversity contributed to higher productivity. Although, we may not understand completely how species richness contributes to the wellbeing of an ecosystem, we know enough to realize that rich biodiversity is not only essential for ecosystem health but imperative for the very survival of the human race on this planet.
Firstly, it is important because it represents the almost infinite variety of plant and animal life, and the variety of the types of Earth’s ecosystems that support life as we know it. It enables humans to survive in what would otherwise result in adverse conditions.
- Biodiversity is the very stuff that supports the evolution and differentiation among the varying species.
- Water, wind, and sunlight generate much of the energy we use, and the action of the planet on various substances over the course of centuries create and provide things like coal, which is used to generate heat and more energy.
- Energy from wind, water, sunlight, and coal heats our homes and power all our appliances Decaying animal matter has, over the centuries created the fossil fuels we use on a daily basis to power the vehicles that make transportation relatively easy and convenient.
- Without biodiversity we would be (if we existed at all) a homogeneous population, with each of us having the same vulnerabilities. This would mean that in case of an epidemic, we would all be killed since there would be no biologic differences that would enable some of us to survive and adapt.
- Much of our modern medicine is based on combinations of biologically diverse substances isolated from various plants (which we, therefore, label medicinal).
- Even before the rise of modern medicine, ayurveda and unani systems of medicine used various plants to achieve various results. Without those plants, and the great variety of insects that pollinate and crosspollinate them, humans would be much more vulnerable to disease.
- The biodiversity contained in the ecosystem provides forest dwellers with all their daily needsfood,
building material, fodder, medicines and a variety of other products.
- Biodiversity also provides us with lumber, granite, and marble – to name a few of the building materials much human habitation depends upon – we would largely be without shelter.
- While humans are omnivorous, without biodiversity there would be virtually no variety in our diets.
Conserve Mother Nature
“Biodiversity sustains the bodies we live in, and affects the lives we lead, and the societies we form”
Besides all forms of life have a right to exist on the Earth. Apart from the economic importance of conserving biodiversity, there are several cultural, moral and ethical values which are associated with the sanctity of all forms of life. Biodiversity also makes irreplaceable contribution to our aesthetics, imagination and creativity. It forms an integral part of tourism in the world. People all over the world visit national parks, sanctuaries and resorts to recreate themselves. It not only helps them to destress but also helps them to feel one with nature.
We need to conserve biodiversity not for future but for our presence, our sustenance & our survival on Earth
Like this post? Comment here !! Or have something to share? Write to us: email@example.com
Also Read: The Next Big Thing & Need of Time : Organic Farming